Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ouch!

I Got Poked!

....By a couple of needles. You know, one thing is for certain - nothing about this process is easy or without a headache. I guess that's why it's called a 'process' eh? I have no record of what vaccinations I have received as a youth. I tried calling my family doctor and he is out on vacation until June 29th. Figures. ha!

I went to the doctor today and got vaccinated for a couple of things. The others, he didn't feel comfortable doing - so he's ordered blood tests to determine if I am immune. Three others he doesn't know what to do about, as in his opinion, all Canadian's are vaccinated for as a youth and he isn't comfortable giving me a shot without knowing my history. They are; Polio, Pneumococcal and Meningococcal. Yep, Meningococcal. For those of you who know what just happened to my brother - you'll understand the irony in that.

I have an appointment on Saturday at 9:45 AM to get my blood work done at a private clinic in the Atlantic Superstore. It cost $13 but apparently the only OTHER place I can get the tests done (for free) are at Dartmouth General and I spent enough time there last month for my brother, to last a life-time. I also hope to get the additional 3 passport photos that I require for the medical done at that time too. Here's Hoping!

So - Once I find out if I am immune to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella, I'll determine my next course of action for those. Either, go pick-up the results to use as proof of vaccination - or get the shots administered.

Remaining on the list are Hepatitis A & B. I am going to first confirm that these are in fact required, before proceeding. I have a prescription waiting for me at the clinic for these. It'll be a 3-part procedure over the span of 6 months (Guess I'd finish it in the USA?). Each prescription cost $35, each needle administered cost $20, not to mention the actual cost of the drug. I'm not entirely sure if it would be covered by my medical plan at work or not. I read somewhere in the midst of my research that Hep A&B vaccinations may not be required for everyone, so I want to confirm before going through that rig-a-marole.

As for the other 3 I mentioned earlier. I have no choice at the moment expect to wait until Dr. Kydd returns from vacation to see if he has anything on record. I am going to call NS Public Health tomorrow to see if they have any recommendations.

It's okay USA - Give me another hoop! My husband is worth it =) I'll just keep jumping away!


Oh! I got Patche's rabbies vaccination record too! So she's ready to go!

hehe!
Shan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember all of those shots!
The things we do for love, eh?!

The tetanus shot was the worst, leaving me with a very sore arm and a wicked looking bruise the size of an orange.

Have you had your medical examination done yet? Where do/did you have to go to get that done? I think there are only three or four doctors in Canada that provide that service.

How wonderful that you are getting closer to your dream!


Arienne